Tuesday, September 8, 2009

.18












Letterpress & Typewriters

I am going crazy looking at prints that are printed by letterpress machines. The texture is just so nice and authentic! The blots of ink, maybe, or the rough stamped effect after printing for very long. The effect is just something I really adore and prefer. It's not that I loathe glossy prints and solid prints. They can be nice for some sleek things but having textured prints/type is somehow more natural looking and it brings me away from the fact that everything is too technologically produced this modern age.

Using the letterpress machine is also similar to producing prints technologically. But modern printers does not give the same effect. They only give you lines or try match colours when your ink tank runs out. These days when I try to make those rubber stamp effects, either I have to do it manually(stencil and paint or anything) or do in Photoshop. Might not be 100% satisfying though if we talk about photoshop.

Ah I dont know. It's like doing when I do illustrations, I prefer drawing first and scan them in. But this technique may not be a friendly technique when it comes to digital colouring in Photoshop or Illustration. A Wacom tablet is the solution but I somehow still prefer unclean, inconsistent lines.

Hmmm... Perhaps a typewrite for my birthday would be awesome! I wanna make a typographic book out of it! Would be so fun and experimental!

No comments:

Post a Comment